64 Shot, 11 Fatally in Another Deadly Weekend in Chicago

ABC7 reports it was another violent weekend across Chicago as the city continues in Phase 4 of its reopening plan.

Chicago police said 64 people were shot, 11 fatally, between 6:00 p.m. Friday and 11:59 p.m. Sunday.

Six teenagers were wounded in separate shootings between Friday and Monday morning, including 15-year-old Terrance Malden, who was fatally shot Friday in Jeffery Manor on the South Side.

Last week, Chicago police announced the addition of dozens of officers to a new mobile patrol unit to better respond to hot spots while trying to build community relationships.

Superintendent David Brown said the new initiative has a mission that goes beyond simply law enforcement.

“Our summer mobile patrol is designed to help neighbors feel safe,” Brown said.


Late Sunday night, a man was shot to death and two teenagers were wounded at a gas station in West Englewood on the South Side.

They were in a vehicle at a gas station at 11:28 p.m. in the 7000 block of South Damen Avenue when a silver SUV pulled up and someone inside started shooting, according to police. The driver, a 20-year-old man, was shot multiple times and taken to Holy Cross Hospital, where he died.

A 14-year-old boy was shot in the back and a 17-year-old boy was hit in the right arm, police said. Both were taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in good condition.

Another attack earlier that night left a man dead and three people wounded in Englewood.

Officers responding to a call of a person shot about 9:47 p.m. found the 45-year-old man unresponsive with multiple gunshot wounds in the 700 block of West 66th Place, police said. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

Soon after, three other people showed up at St. Bernard Hospital saying they had been shot at the same location, police said. Two men, 27 and 33, and a 20-year-old woman were all shot in their legs, and all were in good condition.

Early Sunday morning, a 26-year-old man was shot dead in the same neighborhood.

Around 5:15 a.m., he was standing in the 2100 block of West 71st Street when he heard shots and felt pain, Chicago police said. He was struck multiple times and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Hours earlier, a 57-year-old man was killed and two other people were critically injured in a shooting n Humboldt Park on the West Side.

They were standing on the street at 12:44 a.m. in the 1100 block of North Lawndale Avenue when they got into a fight with several other males, who fired gunshots, according to Chicago police.

One man was shot in the neck and pronounced dead at the scene, police said. The Cook County medical examiner’s office identified him as Luis Ortiz.

Two other men, 23, and 33, were each shot multiple times and taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, police said.

No one is in custody as Area Four detectives investigate.

A teenage boy who was injured by gunfire Sunday morning in Marquette Park on the Southwest Side, Chicago police said.

According to police, a 14-year-old boy was standing in an alley around 2:55 a.m. in the 6500-block of South Francisco Avenue when someone fired shots.

He was hit in the abdomen and taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in fair condition, police said.

No one is in custody as Area Two detectives investigate.