WATCH: Future uncertain for the “CHOP” zone after shootings

One teenager died and another was critically wounded after being shot in the latest incident of gun violence in the ‘Capitol Hill Organized Protest’ zone Monday.

WATCH:

Forbes reports two more people were shot, one fatally, early Monday in Seattle’s cop-free autonomous zone, which Mayor Jenny Durkan has been criticized for failing to clear after previous outbreaks of violence left a 19-year-old dead and others critically injured.

KEY FACTS

Though the details of the shooting are not yet known, the Seattle Police Department said it responded to reports of gunshots around 3 a.m. in the autonomous zone, which led to the death of an adult male and the hospitalization of a 14-year-old male for gunshot injuries.

Monday’s incident marks the fourth shooting in the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (or CHOP) area that Durkan announced June 22 would be reclaimed by city police after three weeks of protester occupation over the death of George Floyd.

Durkan said during last week’s announcement that the city would work with Black-led community organizations and CHOP leaders to negotiate an exit and that protesters would still be welcome to peacefully demonstrate in the area.

City efforts to dismantle the CHOP were halted Friday when a protester laid down in front of Seattle Department of Transportation crews and machinery attempting to remove barricades; leading to a weekend of discussion with Durkan which came to no concrete conclusions or updated timeline for resolution.

Protesters have said they will not leave until demands are met, including defunding the Seattle Police by 50% and reallocating the money to Black communities.

A slew of nighttime shootings on the weekend of June 20 that left a 19-year-old dead and two critically injured intensified calls to address the zone, which President Trump has heavily criticized on multiple occasions.

KEY BACKGROUND

Durkan has been criticized from both sides for her handling of the CHOP area specifically, as well as broader anti-racism protests in Seattle. According to The New York Times, at least three members of the nine-member City Council have called for her resignation and a lawsuit has been filed against Durkan and Gov. Jay Inslee for allowing the CHOP zone to continue.

Trump has been vocal about his disapproval of CHOP, taking to Twitter multiple times to criticize Durkan’s response to the situation and to call upon  Inslee to “take back” the city from protesters, who he later called “domestic terrorists.”

On Sunday, protesters marched to Durkan’s house, chanting for her to step down.