CBS news reports Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz revealed that he was extending his self-quarantine during an exclusive appearance on “CBS This Morning” Friday. Cruz had been cleared from his initial self-quarantine on Thursday after becoming the first U.S. senator to sequester himself over concerns linked to the coronavirus pandemic.
Cruz said he would be remaining in his Texas home “out an an abundance of caution” rather than on the word of medical officials, although he has not been tested.
Cruz initially went into self-quarantine after he and several other congressional Republicans came into contact with an individual at last month’s Conservative Political Action Conference who later tested positive. President Trump and Vice President Pence were in attendance as well.
He said he was getting ready to take his family out for dinner on Friday night when he got a call on Thursday evening that “a Spanish government official” he interacted with in Washington, D.C. tested positive for COVID-19.
According to the senator, he met the official on March 3 in his D.C. office and spent about 20 minutes speaking in a conference room.
“Given that interaction, I’m consulting with medical authorities, as I did the first time,” Cruz said. “But my intention is simply to extend the self-quarantine to March 17, which is a full 14 days from the interaction.”
Cruz said he remains “strong and healthy” and that he has no symptoms and “very little reason to be concerned.”
He added it was still “wise to be prudent,” given the gravity of the health crisis.
Read more here.