Surveillance Video Released of Fatal Atlanta Shooting, Police Chief Steps Down

Per MSNBC, new surveillance video has been released of the moment Atlanta police fatally shot 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks in the parking lot of a Wendy’s restaurant.

Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields steps down as Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms calls for the termination of the officer involved in the incident.


CBS News reports Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields is stepping down from the role, less than 24 hours after an officer shot and killed a man authorities claim was resisting arrest at a Wendy’s drive-thru.

Surveillance footage released Saturday show the man, Rayshard Brooks, 27, running away from police even after he took a Taser from an officer.

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said she does not “believe that this was a justified use of deadly force,” and said the officer who fired the shot should be fired.

Atlanta police said they were called to the Wendy’s drive-thru late Friday night after receiving a complaint that the driver of a vehicle had fallen asleep, forcing customers to drive around him. When police arrived around 10:30 p.m. they performed a sobriety test on Brooks.

According to police, Brooks failed the test and then resisted arrest. He allegedly struggled with officers outside the fast-food restaurant.

“A field sobriety test was performed on the male subject. After failing the test, the officers attempted to place the male subject into custody,” reads the press release. “During the arrest, the male subject resisted and a struggle ensued. The officer deployed a Taser.”

Brooks was shot after he allegedly took an officer’s taser. The officer who fired the fatal shot has not been identified.

“Witnesses report that during the struggle the male subject grabbed and was in possession of the Taser. It has also been reported that the male subject was shot by an officer in the struggle over the Taser,” according to the GBI statement.

Later in the day, the GBI said it had reviewed new footage of the incident that shows “Brooks obtained one of the officer’s Tasers and began to flee from the scene.”

“Officers pursued Brooks on foot and, during the chase, Brooks turned and pointed the Taser at the officer. The officer fired his weapon, striking Brooks. A copy of this video will be released to the public,” the GBI wrote Saturday on Twitter.

According to the agency, “an earlier account” of the incident “was based on the officer’s body cam, which was knocked off during the physical struggle, preventing the capture of the entire shooting incident.”

Brooks was taken to a local hospital where he died after surgery, according to the GBI. One officer was treated for an injury and discharged from the hospital.

Bottoms said she does not “believe that this was a justified use of deadly force,” and said the officer who fired the shot should be fired.

The deadly shooting comes just two weeks after multiple Atlanta police officers were fired and charged over a dramatic incident involving two college students who were yanked from a car stuck in traffic during a George Floyd protest against racial inequality and police brutality on May 30. The officers used a stun gun on the driver and passenger. Footage of the incident was broadcast live by CBS Atlanta affiliate WGCL-TV.