7 high-risk sex offenders convicted of sexual and violent crimes have been released in Southern California.
Their convictions include sexual battery, assault with a deadly weapon, child molestation, indecent exposure, parole violations and entering school grounds as a sex offender.
DailyCaller reports seven high-risk sex offenders in Orange County jails were released by the state, prompting the district attorney to issue a warning to the community, numerous sources reported.
Democratic California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered the closure of parks and beaches days after the state ordered the release of the seven sex offenders, both orders pushed due to concerns over the spread of coronavirus, according to Fox News.
Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said in a Wednesday statement on Twitter that the jails are not currently overcrowded and that social distancing measures were being enforced, stressing that the release of high-risk inmates wasn’t necessary, Fox News reported.
District Attorney Todd Spitzer said the men are likely to reoffend and issued a safety warning.
“These kinds of high-risk sex offenders are the most dangerous kind of criminal and the most likely to re-offend,” Spitzer said in a statement according to Fox News. “They are doing everything they can to avoid detection by the parole officers assigned to monitor them so they can potentially commit additional sex offenses. These are not the kind of people who should be getting a break.”
The DA’s office also said that Court Commissioner Joseph Dane ordered their releases throughout April, even though the men had been charged with tampering with their GPS monitoring devices.
The seven released inmates have been convicted of various sexual and violent crimes, including sexual battery, assault with a deadly weapon, child molestation, indecent exposure, parole violations and entering school grounds as a sex offender.
TCO reported Rudy William Grajeda Magdaleno, a high-risk registered sex offender was arrested in Santa Ana for exposing himself, just two weeks after a controversial early release from the Orange County, California Jail.
His convictions include a sexual assault on a mentally disabled person.
KABC reports seven inmates who were deemed high-risk sex offenders were released early in April by a court commissioner, triggering criticism and warnings from county law enforcement officials who said the release was not necessary because the jails were not overcrowded.
One of them was Rudy William Grajeda Magdaleno, who was released April 13 after serving 71 days in jail on a 180-day minimum sentence. Officials say he has an extensive criminal history including convictions for robbery, narcotics possession, criminal threats and child annoyance.
Santa Ana police say Magdaleno was at a parole resource center on April 17 when he exposed himself to staff members there. He had also failed to charge his GPS monitor and the device had stopped tracking him the day before.
He fled the scene, but officers found and arrested him on Thursday.
“I find it extremely troubling that this high risk sex offender was authorized for release, in spite of his significant documented criminal history,” Santa Ana Police Chief David Valentin said.
Santa Ana police say his convictions include a sexual assault on a mentally disabled person; breaking into a home while naked from the waist down and peeking into an 11-year-old girl’s room; and entering a Santa Ana law office, sitting on the floor and beginning to masturbate while staring at a woman in the office.