Sex offender just set free by Mass. Bail Fund is charged with new rape

BostonGlobe reports three weeks after being freed from the jail where he was being held on rape charges, Level 3 sex offender Shawn McClinton faced new allegations Thursday that he kidnapped, beat, and raped a woman he met walking along a Quincy street.

The new charges against McClinton, 39, sparked immediate criticism of the Massachusetts Bail Fund, the group that posted the $15,000 bail to set him free.

Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said he was “absolutely appalled” that someone with McClinton’s history would be freed. “We’re getting to a point in society where we’re giving more credence to criminals than victims. We’re talking about violent offenders. Why would you bail someone who committed rapes?”

Per Fox News, the Massachusetts Bail Fund, whose slogan is “Free Them All,” faced fierce criticism on Thursday after helping free a Level 3 sex offender who is accused of committing new violent offense after his release, according to a report.

The group posted the $15,000 bail to free Shawn McClinton, who has been convicted of a 1994 rape and had another pending rape case, according to the Boston Globe. The paper reported that McClinton, who is 39, is now accused of kidnapping, beating and raping a woman in Quincy on Tuesday.

Shawn McClinton
Shawn McClinton
“You talk about a violation of constitutional rights? Women aren’t free to walk around because of this predator, and the Bail Fund wants to bail someone like that?” William Gross, the Boston police commissioner, asked, according to the paper. “The Bail Fund folks are not from the inner city. I don’t know who they think they’re helping. They’ve proved they are a detriment to the community.”

The Globe’s report was retweeted by Donald Trump, Jr.

The paper reported that McClinton is accused of taking the woman to his home where he forced her at knife-point to perform oral sex. He allegedly beat her after accusing her of being an undercover police officer, the report said.

Rachael Rollins, the Suffolk County District Attorney, said McClinton had been released on bail in a violent 2018 rape, only to allegedly re-offend and arraigned on new charges stemming from new allegations of sexual assault.

“This individual has violently and sexually assaulted women and children in the past. His release on July 15 allowed him the opportunity to sexually assault and harm again. And unfortunately, he did. I’m grateful to Boston Police sexual assault detectives and my prosecutors and advocates for providing compassionate support to the survivor of McClinton’s most recent sexual assault, and for their work helping hold the alleged attacker accountable for these reprehensible acts,” Rollins said, according to Boston 25 News.