Portland demonstrators use rope from flag to lock cops in precinct

The Portland Police tweeted Tuesday:

The group at the Justice Center has shifted to the 2nd Avenue side. Some individuals are tampering with the entry and exit doors. This is a fire safety hazard causing a serious safety concern for those in the Justice Center. Remove the items now!

The front door to Central Precinct was locked from the outside with the u-lock. It had to be cut off from the outside so those inside could leave. The rope was taken by protesters from the flag pole and tied to the roll-up doors on the Southeast corner of the building.

Locking the Justice Center from the outside presented serious life safety concerns for the adults in custody and employees inside the building. The demonstrators have moved away from the building and the doors are re-opened.

Per Fox News, the burning flag injured one person, according to the police, though the person’s name was not revealed.

The biggest safety issue of the night took place a little after 1 a.m. when a driver identified as Anthony Eaglehorse-Lassandro hit several demonstrators, the Oregonian reported. He was eventually arrested on suspicion of hit and run, reckless driving and possession of a controlled substance.

Protesters in Portland have marched every day for the past three weeks following the death of George Floyd, a black man in Minneapolis who died after a white police officer knelt on his neck for several minutes.

Over the weekend, two Portland-based journalists were also injured while covering the protests against police brutality.

Oregonian reporter Beth Nakamura said the police hit her with a baton on Friday. A day later, Portland Tribune reporter Zane Sparling said he was pushed into a wall by a police officer and hit by a crowd control munition, Oregon Public Broadcasting reported. Both reporters said they identified themselves as members of the press to police. Nakamura and Sparling claim the police officers responded using profanity and told them their press credentials did not matter.

The incidents against the Portland reporters are the first publicly questioned by the mayor since the uprising over systemic racism and police brutality following Floyd’s death.