Police officer shot and killed near Seattle

Per KOMONews, authorities have identified the rookie Bothell police officer who was killed during a Monday night traffic stop gone awry in which a second officer was also hurt following a gun battle and brief pursuit of the suspect.

Officer Jonathan Shoop died at the scene while the surviving officer was rushed for treatment to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he was treated then later released Tuesday morning, according to hospital spokesperson Susan Gregg. Officials have not yet identified the surviving officer.

The suspect was later arrested after an hours-long manhunt, but his identity has not been publicly disclosed.

Police said Shoop began his law enforcement career on June 3, 2019 after serving in the U.S. Coast Guard. He is survived by a fiance, mother and two brothers. Funeral arrangements have not been publicly disclosed.

“Jonathan was a dedicated officer who served the City of Bothell with professionalism and compassion,” the department tweeted Tuesday afternoon. “Jonathan was well liked amongst his peers and throughout the community. Officer Jonathan Shoop will be dearly missed.”

Bothell Police Officer Jonathan Shoop

The incident began around 9:40 p.m. when Bothell officers tried to pull over a driver heading west on SR 522, according to Aaron Snell with Everett Police, which is among the agencies now investigating the shooting. After a short chase, the fleeing driver struck a man on a scooter and crashed through a center median in the 10300 block of Woodinville Drive, Snell said.

At that point, gunfire was exchanged as the driver got out and ran from the car, Snell said. Backup officers arrived at the scene to find one officer had died and a second one was wounded. He was rushed to Harborview along with the scooter rider, Snell said. The rider was listed in satisfactory condition, according to Gregg.

A manhunt ensued as several police agencies and police dogs swarmed the area looking for their suspect. He was located around 3:20 a.m. hiding on a rooftop and arrested without further incident.

Hours after the shooting, Bothell police officers lined up at the scene as a procession brought the fallen officer’s body to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s office in Everett.

“I saw his body being taken away with an American flag on it, yeah I prayed,” said Brenda Isaak Bray.

Bothell police Capt. Mike Johnson said it was the first time in at least 25 years that a Bothell officer was killed in the line of duty.

“As you can imagine, this is the most horrific thing police officers can deal with,” Johnson said. “When these types of events happen, police officers all want to help out and pitch inso thankful for all their help.”