Newsom releases statement denouncing Trump plan to exclude illegals from the census count

California Governor Gavin Newsom has released a statement calling Trump’s effort to exclude illegal immigrants from the census “rooted in racism and xenophobia.”

Per NBC News, President Donald Trump signed a memo Tuesday that aims to bar undocumented immigrants living in the country from being included in the census for purposes of deciding how many members of Congress are apportioned to each state.

Trump said in the memo that it will be the “policy of the United States to exclude from the apportionment base aliens who are not in a lawful immigration status under the Immigration and Nationality Act.”

The memo directs Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who oversees the census, to provide the president with data about the number of people who are undocumented so that when census officials present the president with the final count, the president can exclude them from the population totals used to determine how many House seats each state will have.

Breitbart reports California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) on Tuesday decried President Donald Trump’s executive order which will exclude Illegal aliens from being counted for purposes of congressional apportioning.

“Counting every person in our country through the Census is a principle so foundational that it is written into our Constitution,” Newsom said in a statement. “This latest action by the administration to exclude undocumented immigrants when determining representation in Congress, rooted in racism and xenophobia, is a blatant attack on our institutions and our neighbors.”

Earlier Tuesday, President Trump signed the order, saying the memorandum is designed to bar “illegal aliens from the apportionment base following the 2020 Census.”

The memorandum has sparked legal challenges as it follows the Department of Commerce losing a Supreme Court case last year where it attempted to include a question about citizenship status on the 2020 census.