According to a new report from DailyMail, the Megxit couple may have to ask President Trump for “special help” if they want Secret Service protection while starting their new life in Los Angeles.
DailyMail reports Meghan Markle and Prince Harry face having to ask President Trump for ‘special help’ if they want Secret Service protection for their new life in LA, as Canadians bid the couple and their security costs farewell.
Trump will have the final say over whether the couple can have diplomatic protection in the US, because Harry will no longer be classed as an ‘international protected person’ when he completes the final phase of Megxit next week, according to a royal source.
Questions are now being asked about who will foot the bill for their new Hollywood lifestyles.
The couple caused quite a stir earlier this year when they made the shock announcement that they were quitting Royal life and leaving the UK.
The Megxit process will finally be complete on Tuesday when the couple will stand down as senior Royals.
A royal source said the pair’s stepping down removes any obligation on the US government to pay for their security.
The UK and US have a long standing reciprocal agreement when it comes to bodyguards protecting diplomats and members of the Royal family.
President Trump’s Secret Service agents would have been allowed to carry their weapons on his state visit and likewise bodyguards for the Queen and Prince Charles when they made official trips to the US.
But Harry’s exit from the Royal family means he is no longer considered an ‘international protected person’ and so these rules don’t apply.
The couple would now need to rely on President Trump to make an exception to cover the costs, the source said.
‘It will be down to Harry or his Met Police protection officers to ask for help,’ they said.
‘There is a reciprocal agreement between the US that allows protection officers to carry their weapons. But Harry is no longer a serving royal and that is why his protection in Canada from the Mounties was withdrawn.
‘Someone is going to have to ask the State Department, and ultimately the decision rests with Donald Trump, for assistance. Harry cannot live in the US without armed protection.’
Given Meghan’s criticism of the US leader – and snubbing him at a Buckingham Palace banquet – he might not feel so generous to the pair.
Harry has also been disparaging of Trump saying he has ‘blood on his hands’ during a prank telephone call when he was fooled into thinking he was talking to climate activist Greta Thunberg.
The couple will now have to plead with Trump to cover the costs.
If he refuses they will have to pay for private security or the UK will continue to foot the bill.
Read more here.
A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan has responded to President Trump’s tweet Sunday.
Trump wrote “I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”
I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 29, 2020
Per Yahoo, Trump seems to have gotten the impression the the royals would ask the U.S. to pay for their security from an article in the Daily Mail. The article, which is largely based on claims attributed to a “royal source,” says the couple will have to “plead” with the president for protection. In essence, Trump’s tweet was a response to rumors that the couple would ask for his help, rather than an actual request.
Later on Sunday, the royal couple replied to those rumors saying, in a statement to Chris Ship, royal correspondent for British television network ITV, that “privately funded security arrangements have been made” and that Meghan and Harry have “no plans” to get assistance from the U.S.