Fox News reports Democratic leaders in Congress continued on Sunday to remain quiet on the sexual assault allegations leveled against their party’s presumptive presidential nominee Joe Biden, even as anger over the accusations mounted from the party’s more progressive wing.
Neither House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., nor Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., have made any public comment about the allegations by Tara Reade, a staffer for Biden in 1993, that the then-senator from Delaware sexually assaulted her.
Pelosi and Schumer’s offices did not return Fox News request for comment.
There is growing anger from both progressive Democrats and supporters of the #MeToo movement about the lack of response from Democratic leaders toward the allegations. The hashtag #dropoutbiden was trending on Twitter on Sunday – until it was allegedly removed – and many supporters for former Democratic presidential primary hopeful Bernie Sanders are calling on Biden to suspend his campaign for the White House.
Nick Brana, Sanders’ former national outreach coordinator, tweeted over the weekend that the Democratic National Committee should either force Biden to drop out or “admit that suppressing progressives is the true purpose of your party.”
Per TCO, former Hillary advisor Peter Daou tweeted Saturday:
DIFFICULT THREAD — #BIDEN SHOULD WITHDRAW
1. I respect the will of the voters.
3. Credible rape accusations are disqualifying or we have NO moral standards.
4. Defeating Trump is NOT OPTIONAL.
5. To avoid potential catastrophe in Nov., #Biden should withdraw.
7. #Bernie can restart his campaign.
8. We can reboot the primary and give voters a choice.
9. This is the ethical position AND the smarter strategy to beat Trump.
10. We lose ALL moral authority if we embrace “the lesser of two accused rapists.”
11. Polls show other Dem candidates can win.
PRINCIPLES MATTER. WE CAN BEAT TRUMP AND PROTECT OUR VALUES.#DropOutBiden
The hashtag #DropOutBiden trended on Twitter.
This article first appeared on TheConservativeOpinion.com