Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said defiantly in a press conference “We’re a welcoming city, we’re a sanctuary city, Chicago police department will not co-operate with ICE on any immigration related business.”
Per the DailyCaller, an illegal alien arrested for allegedly sexually abusing a toddler would have been in federal custody had the Chicago Police Department in 2019 honored an immigration detainer on him and not release him back into the community.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) lodged an immigration detainer for Christopher Puente, 34-year-old Mexican national living in the U.S. illegally, with the Chicago Police Department in June 2019 upon his arrest for theft. However, that detainer request was ignored, and Puente has since been charged with sexually abusing a child, according to a press release by the agency.
An ICE spokesperson ripped Chicago leaders, noting that their lack of cooperation could have prevented Puente’s alleged crime.
“How many more victims must there be before lawmakers realize that sanctuary policies do not protect the innocent?” Robert Guadian, field office director of Chicago Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO), asked in a statement. “Puente should have been in ICE custody last year and removed to his home country. Instead, irresponsible lawmaking allowed him to walk free and prey on our most vulnerable.”
However, both Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot and Chicago police are not backing down from their decision to not cooperate with ICE.
Chicago police said in a statement “The Chicago Police Department remains committed to protecting all Chicago residents regardless of their immigration status. Our pledge to restrict ICE access to our information systems and our refusal to cooperate with ICE immigration enforcement measures has not changed.”
Lori Lightfoot, diverted the blame back to ICE, sayin “if ICE is complaining, then they should do their job better.”
ABCChicago reports the man accused of sexually assaulting a 3-year-old girl inside a bathroom of McDonald’s flagship restaurant in River North had previously been deported, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said. Chicago officials responded Friday, standing by their decision not to cooperate with ICE on immigration-related business.
Christopher Puente, 34, of Chicago, is currently being held without bail after being charged with predatory criminal sexual assault in connection with an alleged attack on a child in the former Rock N Roll McDonald’s on Clark Street earlier this month.
ICE said in a news release Thursday Puente was placed into Chicago police custody in June of 2019 after he was arrested for theft. According to ICE, Chicago police were expected to hold Puente until he could be taken into their custody, as Puente was expected to be deported.
However, at some point Puente was released prior to the alleged incident at the River North McDonald’s, ICE said.