BREAKING: Wendy’s where Rayshard Brooks police shooting happened engulfed in flames

Per Ric Garni:

Fire at Wendy’s on University Ave in southwest Atlanta raging. A night to remember in Atlanta: Rayshard Brooks shot by an officer, the chief of Atlanta police resigned, and protesters stormed the interstate. Now, fire.

11Alive reports:


Social media users are sharing video of the scene.

Per TheHill, news of the fast food restaurant’s fire comes as after police shot and killed Brooks during an exchange and subsequent struggle near a drive-thru.

Atlanta Police Department (ADP) officers were dispatched to a Wendy’s in the city Friday evening around 10:30 p.m. in response to complaints that Brooks was asleep in the drive-thru of the restaurant.

Police reportedly attempted to take Brooks into custody have he failed a sobriety test. Amid a struggle to put Brooks under arrest, he allegedly grabbed an officer’s Taser and ran off with it.

Brooks reportedly gained a distance between himself and law enforcement and pointed the stun gun at police, who then shot him.

Brooks was pronounced dead after he had undergone surgery at a nearby hospital.

Protests in Atlanta have escalated since Brook’s death Friday evening, with protesters closing down an entire highway, according to CNN.

A group of protesters has also gathered outside Atlanta’s 3rd Precinct, according to the outlet.

Atlanta Police Chief Ericka Shields voluntarily stepped down from the city’s department Saturday afternoon following the outcry from Brooks’s death, which comes on the heels of weeks of demonstrations and unrest over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in Minneapolis police custody.

Floyd’s death has also reignited calls from advocates and protesters for an end to police brutality and police reform legilsation.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced Saturday that the APD requested the bureau to investigate the shooting of Brooks.

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp (R) tweeted Saturday evening that an investigation had been launched into the conduct of the police officers whose actions led to the death of the 27-year-old.