Fox News reports Prince Charles, who is first in line to the British throne, has tested positive for coronavirus after displaying mild symptoms, his office has announced.
The Prince of Wales, 71, has otherwise been displaying good health and is working from home.
His wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, tested negative. They are currently at their home Burnham on the Balmoral Estate in Scotland.
From Buckingham Palace after Prince Charles news #coronavirus:
“The Queen remains in good health. The Queen last saw The Prince of Wales briefly on the morning of 12 March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.” We will not be commenting further.”
— Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) March 25, 2020
Breaking: Prince Charles tests positive for corona virus. Guess a virus doesn’t make any distinction between royalty and the common populace. Wish the prince a speedy recovery! 👍
— Rajdeep Sardesai (@sardesairajdeep) March 25, 2020
DailyMail reports Prince Charles has contracted coronavirus – but his wife Camilla has not tested positive, it was revealed today.
The Prince of Wales, 71, is in self-isolation at Balmoral Castle in Scotland with the Duchess of Cornwall, who is without any symptoms for the virus, which has killed 422 in the UK so far.
Charles has fallen ill just a fortnight after meeting coronavirus-stricken Prince Albert of Monaco, who tested positive after he sat opposite the Prince of Wales at a WaterAid event in London on March 10, 24 hours after he was last seen in public with his mother.
He was last at Buckingham Palace on March 12 for investitures, and his illness will raise fears for the health for elderly royals including the Queen and Prince Philip, who are together at Windsor Castle.
Until he fell ill, the heir to the throne has been continuing to carry out public engagements despite the coronavirus crisis – but has avoided shaking hands, instead using a namaste gesture.
But despite avoiding close contact with people he has caught Covid-19 – and it came days after a member of Buckingham Palace staff tested positive for coronavirus.
A Clarence House spokesman said: ‘The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.
‘The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland’.
The spokesman said it was impossible to say where he caught it from because of the large number of public engagements he has carried out in ‘recent weeks’ – but it will raise questions over whether he got it from Albert.
The Royal Family appeared to have already prepared for the eventuality that one of them could be diagnosed with coronavirus, having been split up across Britain – away from London.