Fox News reports the Trump administration on Tuesday announced that it was halting applications to an Obama-era program that shields some illegal immigrants from deportations as it considers the policy’s future — just weeks after the Supreme Court shut down efforts to halt the program.
The Supreme Court ruled last month that the administration’s decision to rescind the Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program was done in an “arbitrary and capricious” manner although they did not rule on the merits of the program itself.
As a result, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced Tuesday that as it considers the future of the program, it will reject all initial requests for protection, as well as applications for Employment Authorization Documents.
“As the Department continues looking at the policy and considers future action, the fact remains that Congress should act on this matter,” acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf said in a statement. “There are important policy reasons that may warrant the full rescission of the DACA policy.”
It is also renewing existing protections for only one year, rather than two.
Trump campaigned on repealing DACA in 2016 and has also floated a legislative fix for the program as part of a broader immigration deal.
A federal judge in Maryland ruled this month that DACA should be restored to its original form before Sept. 2017, but the administration had not said if it would accept new applications.