Queen Elizabeth Issues Statement on Megxit After Emergency Summit, Says “My family and I are entirely supportive”

After an emergency summit, Queen Elizabeth has issued a statement on #Megxit.

PerPageSix, Queen Elizabeth II failed to refer to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle as the “Duke and Duchess of Sussex” in a statement Monday — raising doubts about whether the royal pair will keep their titles, some British outlets said.

The palace had tweeted out a statement from the queen after an emergency summit over Megxit, the renegade royal couple’s plan to drop their senior duties while living at least part of the time in North America.

From Royal.uk

Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.

My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.

Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives.

It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.

These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.

WATCH:

Last week, Prince Harry announced what has been dubbed “Megxit” and explained via an instagram post.

After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

You Might Like

 

View this post on Instagram

 

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

Per PageSix, the monarchy appeared to be bowing to their rebellious young royals Saturday — with Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth seeking a Megxit deal that will keep Prince Harry and Meghan Markle close.

Prince Charles is focused on protecting his son as he leads the charge to tamp down the crisis, which erupted Wednesday when the couple announced a step back from royal duties.

“At the very heart of the matter is the Prince of Wales’ concern for his son, his daughter-in-law and his new grandson,” a royal insider told the Daily Mirror.

“He is absolutely clear in his mind that Harry is at a tipping point and has promised him he would do everything in his power to help him,” the Mirror source said, an apparent reference to the mental health issues Harry has said he struggles with, stemming from his mother Princess Diana’s death.

Markle also reportedly shares a close bond with Charles, who walked her down the aisle at the couple’s May 2018 nuptials. The Prince of Wales views the progressive pair as one of the monarchy’s “greatest assets” in its bid to modernize the institution.

“There’s a genuine fear from Charles that this could be the beginning of the end for Harry and Meghan’s involvement with the family and that, in his words would be ‘an utter tragedy,’” a senior palace source told the Mirror.