A Michigan judge has sided with barber Karl Manke and rejected Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s demand for him to close.
Manke, who opened back up for business in defiance of an executive order on May 4, held a press conference with his attorney Monday, May 11, 2020. Manke’s attorney argued Manke has a constitutional right to earn a living.
Great Lakes News reported outside Manke’s shop as the ruling went down.
“This is not only a big victory for Mr. Manke, but also for other small businesses” reporter Katie Heid said.
Per NBC25News, early Monday morning, Manke’s attorney, David Kallman, says the Attorney General’s office filed a complaint with the Shiawassee County Circuit Court asking for Manke’s business to be shut down.
The judge however, denied the request…leaving many in the area hopeful for Manke’s future and ready to take action against the state.
“The courts are going to be deciding these things. Are these executive orders legal or not. It’s our position that they’re not,” said Kallman.
In a Monday press conference, Kallman said that his law firm will back Manke all the way up to the Supreme Court if they have to fighting the executive orders.
“Certain businesses are favored, they can open. Other businesses are unfavored, they stay shut and their businesses get destroyed. That’s what we’re fighting in this case,” Kallman stated.
Last week, Manke was given two citation from the Owosso Police Department and a health protection order by the Michigan State Police demanding he cease operation or he would be shut down.
On Monday, his sign was still flashing and Manke is still up and running.
“I had to get back to work, I feel it is my right to work,” said Manke
According to the legal team, Manke is practicing safety precautions, like social distancing, face masks, hand washing and use of hand sanitizer.
Manke says he is overwhelmed by the crowd.
“I cannot believe the support that I’ve got (applause),” he said.