Notorious actor Jussie Smollett is back in hot water again as he now faces 6 new charges of disorderly conduct.
Per Fox5, Smollett told Chicago police last year that two men physically attacked him and yelled racial and homophobic slurs. But prosecutors had insisted Smollett faked the racist, anti-gay attack on himself in the hopes that the attention would advance his acting career.
But with little explanation, authorities in March of 2019 abruptly dropped all charges against Smollett, abandoning the criminal case only five weeks after the allegations were filed. In return, prosecutors said, the actor agreed to let the city keep his $10,000 in bail.
USAToday reports a grand jury returned a six-count indictment accusing actor Jussie Smollett of lying to Chicago police, a special prosecutor announced Tuesday.
Smollett faces six counts of disorderly conduct, special prosecutor Dan Webb said in a statement.
The charges stem from Smollett’s assertion that he was the target of a racist and homophobic attack in January 2019.
Smollett originally indicted on 16 felony counts of filing a false police report, but prosecutors in the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office abruptly dropped the charges, angering police and City Hall officials and leading to the appointment of a special prosecutor to investigate that decision.
The actor told investigators that his attackers yelled homophobic and racist slurs at him, threw liquid on him and draped a noose around his neck, alleging they screamed “This is MAGA country,” a reference to President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan.
But after several weeks of investigation, Chicago police claimed that he made the whole thing up, hiring two brothers to pretend-attack him in order to boost his profile and paycheck on the Fox show “Empire.”
Lawyers for Smollett and the Cook County Clerk’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.