Firefighters are battling a massive blaze at the French capital’s iconic Notre-Dame Cathedral, where flames and black smoke were seen shooting from the base of the medieval church’s spire on Monday.
- The fire chief in Paris says the city’s team have managed to save Notre-Dame Cathedral from complete destruction.
- The spire of the historic Notre-Dame Cathedral has collapsed as the wooden structure supporting the roof was ravaged by the blaze. Flames have spread to one of the cathedral’s two towers.
- The 12th century cathedral was in the midst of a massive 20-year renovation project.
- Due to the fire, President Emmanuel Macron has postponed a highly-anticipated TV address on the Yellow Vest crisis, and rushed to the scene.
- Deputy Paris mayor Emmanuel Gregoire said that workers are scrambling “to save all the artworks that can be saved”.
The famed and beautiful Notre Dame Cathedral in France, an iconic historic landmark is on fire.
— Andrew Curry (@andrewcurryla) April 15, 2019
Breitbart reported that a major fire is engulfing the famed Medieval Notre-Dame cathedral in central Paris, with smoke billowing over Paris.
The cathedral is in the process of a period of restoration, and in the past couple of days has had sixteen bronze statues removed from the roof area in recent days to facilitate work. The fire appears to have started in the roof where work is taking place.
Until Monday’s fire, Notre-Dame Cathedral was undergoing major restoration work. France’s AFP reported three days ago:
Sixteen bronze statues briefly took to the skies over Paris after they were removed from the Notre-Dame cathedral to undergo restoration work.
Tourists at the world-famous landmark were left stunned on Thursday as the statues — representing the 12 apostles and the four evangelists from the New Testament — were lifted off the spire of the cathedral by crane.
“What’s unique is that it’s the first time we’ve seen them up close since they were set up by Viollet-le-Duc in the 1860s,” Marie-Helene Didier, who is in charge of the renovation work, told AFP.
President Trump tweeted out about the fire.
So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 15, 2019
The moment the spire fell, so sad – Notre Dame in Paris is on fire.
Watch the video:
— Mark Day (@MarkDayNews) April 15, 2019