Atlanta Mayor says killing of Rayshard Brooks “could’ve been any one of us”

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, who is considered a contender to be Joe Biden’s running mate, reacted to the deadly police shooting of Rayshard Brooks in an interview with TODAY’s Hoda Kotb, saying his death “could’ve been any one of us.”

Asked about waiting on President Trump’s executive orders on police reform, she said, “We don’t have another hour to wait in Atlanta.”


NBC News reports Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said the fatal police shooting of Rayshard Brooks in her city “is so personal to so many people of color.”

“That could have been any one of us,” Bottoms said on NBC’s “TODAY” on Tuesday. “That could be any of our kids or brothers. In this case it was: It was someone’s father.”

Brooks, 27, a Black man, died after he was shot twice in the back by a police officer in a Wendy’s parking lot on Friday night. His death has been ruled a homicide.

Police had been summoned to the restaurant on a report of a man sleeping in his car in the drive-through.

Brooks struggled with the officers after they administered a field sobriety test and tried to take him into custody.

Surveillance video appears to show Brooks running away from the officers with a stun gun that he’d taken from one of them, said Vic Reynolds, director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is conducting a probe into the incident.

While running, Brooks appeared to turn around and point the weapon at police, Reynolds said. At that point, an officer fatally shot him.

The shooting has sparked widespread protests in Atlanta and furthered calls for the city to address police violence.

Bottoms said on “TODAY” that officers; interaction with Brooks began as “almost a pleasant interaction.”

“It didn’t have to end this way,” she said. “That’s what’s so frustrating.”

She added, “It leaves us asking so many questions. We do so many things in Atlanta we thought to get it right, and this went so terribly wrong.”

Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields resigned from her position on Saturday night, less than 24 hours after the shooting, saying in a statement, “It is time for the city to move forward and build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.”